For the 10th installment of our guest mix series we are glad to welcome Linger & Quiet out of Portland, Oregon to our blog.
Linger & Quiet are Genevieve Dellinger and Matthew Quiet and they do nights called ‘Nightclubbing‘ at Holocene in Portland where they invite upcoming local acts (Miracles Club!) as well as their favourite DJs from around the world (Optimo, Tim Sweeney, Prins Thomas…) to play alongside them. They masterfully combine House, Techno, Disco, New Wave and weird Pop to an irrestible mixture of their own when they are deejaying. For home listening we recommend their Linger & Quiet Radio with a new episode every month.
I’m always happy if there’s a story to go along with our guest mixes. Back in 2008 we were asked by the lovey chaps over at Allez-Allez to submit a mix to their blog. A few month later Linger & Quiet had one there too and while listening to it I thought we share a similar approach when it comes to selecting and combining music for a mix. So there were some email conversations about that and another splendid mix of them on Tim Sweeney’s Beats In Space and in September 2009 I started out to travel the west coast of the US. Of course, I stopped by in Portland where I was lucky to play my first gig in the United States thanks to the lovely Stephen Quirke. Coincidentally, also on the bill that night were Linger & Quiet. Since the club was an illegal afterhour space and got busted by the police the week before everybody had to bring their own drinks. Apparently, that fact is bad promotion in Portland whereas in Dresden it would be the opposite… Anyway, only about 20 people attended that night but still we had a blast. I enjoyed Genevieve’s and Matt’s hospitality for the rest of my time in Portland which is just a really nice place to be.
I keep fingers crossed that flight tickets to Europe get cheaper soon so they’ll be able to come over to visit friends and family here. Of course, we won’t miss the chance to invite them to Cosmic Dancer on this occasion!
1. The Belle Stars – Iko Iko [Stiff]
2. Steve Winwood – Valerie [Island]
3. Frank Zappa – The Central Scrutinizer [Zappa]
4. Mariah – Shinzo No Tobira [Better Days]
5. 20th Century Steel Band – Heaven & Hell [United]
6. Jason Kendig – SK1 [Honey Sound System]
7. Midi Rain – Always (Club Vocal Mix) [Vinyl Solution]
8. A Number of Names – Sharevari [Capriccio]
9. Hercules – 7 Ways [Dance Mania]
10. Pookey Blow – Get Up (And Go To School) [Tri State Records]
11. New Fast Automatic Daffodils – Big [PIAS]
12. Da Rebels – It’s Time To Jack The House [Clubhouse]
13. Lemon Interupt – Eclipse [Junior Boy's Own]
14. Nightlife Unlimited – Love Is In You [Unidisc]
15. Voices of Conquest – O Yes My Lord [Numero]
16. DJ Gregory – Tropical Soundclash (Acappella) [Defected]
17. Shinehead – Billy Jean [Hawkeye]